Hello! Happy first day of May! I’m popping in today to share my recent card using watercolor texture with Altenew’s Painted Butterflies Stamp Set. I have always been a huge fan of watercolor texture and I think this technique works best with white heat embossing outlines.
My card today features the Altenew Painted Butterflies Set which have several butterfly designs. It inspires me to use calming and ethereal colors on my card. I first started by stamping several butterflies onto a watercolor paper using Versamark embossing ink. Then, I white heat embossed the butterflies by using my heat gun. I took out my watercolor palette and I picked out two shades of purple and a light flesh color. I painted layers by layers, with drying in between, to create transparency of colors. This transparency effect is exactly why I love watercolors so much!!! It is so delicate and surreal in person! I finished off the watercoloring with a few splatters of paint and Perfect Pearl solution.
For the sentiment, I white heat embossed the simple “Just saying hello” from the same stamp set on a thick strip of SSS Slate Gray Cardstock. The minimalist font with the thick strip adds a touch of slickness to my design and it balances out the femininity of the watercolored butterflies. I finished the card by mounting everything onto a Neenah Solar White card base with foam tape.
A close up of the watercolored butterflies below. I color corrected all my photos. In real life, my card appears to be more purple than blue. It’s always a struggle to capture the colors and details in real life on photographs. I just wish I can show you the real card!
That’s it for today. Hope you enjoy my post. Happy crafting!
- Altenew Painted Butterflies Stamp Set: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- Schmincke Horadam 48 Half Pan Watercolor Set: Blick Art
- Perfect Pearl Pigment Powder: Simon Says Stamp
- Canson XL Watercolor Paper: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- Simon Says Stamp Slate Gray Cardstock: Simon Says Stamp
- Neenah Solar White 110lb Cardstock: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- MISTI Stamping Tool: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- EK Success Powder Tool: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- Versamark Watermark Ink: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- Hero Arts White Embossing Powder: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- Hero Arts Wagner Heat Gun: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- Scotch Double-Sided Foam Tape: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- Cheaper Alternative Foam Tape: Ellen Hutson
- Be Creative Tape/ Scor-Tape: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp