Hello sweet friends! I hope you are having a fantastic Thankgsiving! My hubby and I are spending the holidays in Vancouver this year because I was too lazy to cook. Seriously… The two of us could never finish a whole turkey! So, we are currently escaping our national holiday by fleeing the country LOL!!
For me, the weekend after Thanksgiving is always a wake up call to really speed up my Christmas cardmaking. I did start early this year (like September) but I still don’t have enough cards. Talk about efficiency lol. In order to catch up, my plan is to have one design then mass produce it until I meet my goal 🙂
Here is my design this year. I have mixed supplies from two of my favorite companies – My Favorite Things and Mama Elephant. I have incorporated so many techniques in this card – shaker, die cut inlay, die cut surgery, ink blending, Copic coloring, heat embossing… Basically I included everything I love about cardmaking on this design and I love it!
- Stamp images from Mama Elephant Wooly Winter Stamp Set in black. Color with Copic markers. Add highlight details with white gel pen
- Die cut a watercolor paper with MFT Die-namics Horizontal Snow Drifts Cover-Up. Trim away some of the top slopes to free up a big space for our shaker. Ink blend on the two bottom slope panels with Altenew Frayed Leaf and Coral Berry ink
- For the background, I blended with Altenew Mango Smoothie ink and white heat emboss some snowflakes from MFT Simply Snowflakes Stamp Set
- Assemble the shaker by adhering the frame onto an acetate sheet, inlay the bottom 2 slope panels. Fill up the shaker with Little Things from Lucy’s Cards Purely Peppermint Sequins and PPP 3mm Sparkling Clear sequins. Seal with foam tape
- Mount the sheep with foam tape and add some snowflake die cuts from MFT Die-namics Stylish Snowflakes to finish
What do you think of my card? I think it is very important to have a design that I love very much because I am going to make the same card for 20-30 times without hating it, right? If you are looking for more holiday card inspirations, click here to see my earlier designs this year.
Many crafting companies are having amazing sales RIGHT NOW until Monday! Below are some deals from two of my favorite stores:
Simon Says Stamp is having a site-wide sale today (Nov 24) through tomorrow (Nov 25). All products are 15% off with the code SSSBFS.
Ellen Hutson is celebrating their 10th anniversary and they are having a huge sale between Nov 25 (Friday) and Nov 28 (Monday). Now would be a great time to do some Christmas crafty shopping and to purchase the things you have always wanted! The discount code early2016 is valid 12:00-9:00am PST!
During Black Friday, I like to order big ticket items or items that are usually not on sale. Here are some of my personal favorite picks! They would make amazing Christmas gifts for yourself or your loved ones 🙂
1. Kuretake Gansai Tambi Watercolor, 36 Color Set – My personal favorite watercolor set. The paints are absolutely beautiful and creamy. I highly recommend it. See here, here and here for some of my card samples using this watercolor set. Available on sale at Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
2. Copic Marker Florals 2 Kit & Copic Marker Pale Pastel Kit – You guys know I love Copic markers and my favorite ones are the pastel ones. With the Copic shortage still going on, it is really hard to purchase those colors alone. So purchasing a set now when it is on sale would be a good time. See here, here and here for my cards using Copic. These two sets are available at here and here.
3. Tim Holtz Mini Distress Ink Pads – Distress inks are my favorite inks for ink blending and various other techniques e.g. watercoloring, faux watercoloring, ink smooching, etc. Card samples here, here and here. Full set available at Simon Says Stamp. Individual sets available at Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
4. Distress Marker Set – If you love watercoloring with distress inks and want to upgrade your collection, I’d recommend looking at the distress markers. Apply the marker directly on your image first, then dilute with a water brush. This would create a more intense look but still have a watercolor look. Full set available here.
That’s all for today. Thank you so much for stopping by! Happy holidays!
- Mama Elephant Wooly Winter Stamp Set: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- Mama Elephant Wooly Winter Die Set: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- My Favorite Things Simply Snowflakes Stamp Set: My Favorite Things
- My Favorite Things Die-namics Horizontal Snow Drifts Cover-Up: My Favorite Things
- My Favorite Things Die-namics Stylish Snowflakes: My Favorite Things
- Canson XL Watercolor Paper: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- Neenah Solar White 110lb Cardstock: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- Memento Tuxedo Black Ink Pad: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- Altenew Frayed Leaf Crisp Dye Ink: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- Altenew Coral Berry Crisp Dye Ink: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- Altenew Mango Smoothie Crisp Dye Ink: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- Ranger Ink Blending Tool: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- Ranger Ink Blending Tool Replacement Foam: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- EK Success Powder Tool: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- Versamark Watermark Ink: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- Hero Arts Wagner Heat Gun: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- Hero Arts White Embossing Powder: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- Hero Arts Silver Embossing Powder: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- Little Things from Lucy’s Cards Purely Peppermint Sequins: Simon Says Stamp
- Pretty Pink Posh 3mm Clear Sparkling Sequin Mix: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- Acetate Sheet: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- Scotch Double-Sided Foam Tape: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- Cheaper Alternative Foam Tape: Ellen Hutson
- Be Creative Tape/ Scor-Tape: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- Uni-Ball Signo White Gel Pen: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp