Hi friends! Today I have a hand painted holiday card to share with you. I was itching to paint and I wanted to try something relatively easy. I was intimidated to try painting my own ornaments at home because they all have intricate patterns and swirls, maybe next time… LOL
For my painting, I first used a circle die as a guide and drew in two circles on a piece of Arches Watercolor Paper. Then, I drew in the ornaments’ tops. For the painting part, I followed this and this video by Dawn from Wplus9. She is seriously amazing and I love the way she teaches! She makes it really easy to understand.
I have used a recently acquired watercolor palette from Schmincke and I absolutely fell in love with it. The full name of the palette is Schmincke Horadam 48 Half Pan Watercolor Set. This palette is the most expensive palette I’ve ever bought and my wallet bled when I took the plunge. However, I made a promise to myself that I will seriously work towards my art goal so that “justified” my purchase 🙂
Back to my painting, I first used Sepia Brown for the shadows on the bulbs. Then, I painted in the stripes with a paint brush using Translucent Yellow and Madder Red Dark. I further deepened the shadows to create contrast by mixing these colors with browns and grays. For the background, I have used a wash of Phthalo Green. You can see in the photo that my palette is quite messy with dried paints everywhere, but I think it’s beautiful!! 🙂
For the strings, I first drew in a line with a white gel pen, then I drew in a thin line discontinuously using a Copic Multiliner in Sepia. The discontinued lines create the illusion that the strings are shiny. They also add to the delicacy of the painting.
To give the same organic look on my sentiment die cut, I watercolored it with two separate washes of of Madder Red Dark. Finally, I die cut the whole panel with SSS Stitched Rectangles Die and mounted it on SSS Fog card base with foam tape to finish.
That’s it for today. Thank you so much for stopping by! Happy holidays!
- Simon Says Stamp Nested Circle Dies: Simon Says Stamp
- Simon Says Stamp Stitched Rectangles Die Set: Simon Says Stamp
- Simon Says Stamp Fog Card Stock: Simon Says Stamp
- Arches Watercolor Paper: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- Silver Black Velvet Round Brush Sz 8: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp // Amazon // Blick Art
- Schmincke Horadam 48 Half Pan Watercolor Set: Amazon // Blick Art
- Schmincke Horadam Sepia Brown: Amazon
- Schmincke Horadam Translucent Yellow: Amazon // Blick Art
- Schmincke Horadam Madder Red Dark: Amazon // Blick Art
- Schmincke Horadam Phthalo Green: Amazon // Blick Art
- Copic Multiliner in Sepia: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp // Amazon
- Uni-Ball Signo White Gel Pen: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- Scotch Double-Sided Foam Tape: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp
- Cheaper Alternative Foam Tape: Ellen Hutson
- Be Creative Tape/ Scor-Tape: Ellen Hutson // Simon Says Stamp